Sunday, July 22, 2012

Honey boo boo child



Sure, most of us have seen that crazy video about the child beauty queen that chugs mountain dew like a fiend. I’ll admit that I laughed at that video and how ridiculous this all was. But now I’m terrified. They are giving this kid and her family a TV show.

Seriously? I know we are a country of cheap laughs and mind rotting reality TV, but really all we’re doing by giving people like this a TV show is to reward and encourage this idiotic behavior. What kind of message are we sending to these people and everyone in the US? That being stupid, obnoxious, and annoying as hell is awesome?

Personally, I’m not a fan of reality TV. Everything that embodies reality TV infuriates me. I like having a good time just as much as everyone else, but all reality TV is about is encouraging narcissism and idiotic behavior among my peers.

I think what annoys me the most is that our country rewards idiocy and perpetuates the horrible reputation that everyone else in the world has about Americans. Why do we not value education like we do sports? The average American reads at a 3rd grade level, and that’s being generous. Don’t get me wrong, I love sports. I played a number of sports growing up through high school. I played in a work league after I graduated from college. I love sports, but I don’t believe that people should value sports above education.

Sorry… I’ll get off my soap box now, but this whole thing just really irritated me. 

1 comment:

Brahmin in Boston said...

I love you! Seriously I do!

Bachelorette, Bridezillas, Toddlers and Tiaras, the hoopla over Octomom - hated all that and still do.

Since when being stupid is rewarding? Is this representative of what being American, is? I know there are some guilty pleasures for people but I think it is pretty sad the those guilty pleasures promote being stupid and narcissist. UGH!!