Friday, July 16, 2010

Scrambling for hours?

Ya know, in this economy with all the crazy crap happening, especially in the world of retail pharmacy, you really can't be choosy when it comes to getting your hours right? Not me. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a job! I just want a break before school, which is getting shorter and shorter with all the extra shifts people have asked me to take.

Apparently my apathy towards getting hours and wanting to spend more time off before school makes me a hot commodity. I feel bad for people struggling to get their hours and make ends meet, which is another reason I cut my own hours. I figure, I should make them available for people who need it! I guess my manager does not appreciate this sentiment. I am trying to make her realize that in a few weeks, I'm not going to be around anymore to bail them out. They need to find a new person to rely on! This has only made her want to schedule me as much as possible. I mean, I can't complain, money is money and I really should get as much as I can before school.

This has a negative affect on me though. It gives me that stupid ego, oh everyone wants me, blah blah blah. Couple that with my apathy for work because my vacation is looming in a mere few days, it's disastrous. I'm sure when my pharmacists (I know a lot, it's good to network!) call from other stores looking for coverage, they would literally think wtf is wrong with you? I'm offering you precious HOURS! with the line of questions I ask before responding yes or no.

Basically, when people call me to pick up a shift (once they found out I only did 4 days a week and no longer OT, I get offers left and right. It's kind of ridiculous.) I ask these questions:

1) Which store? (You know, everyone's got a store in a district people loathe working in, I certainly do)
2)When is the shift? (I want later if I'm drinking the night before, lol)
3) Who am I working with? (Super important. A bad coworker leads to a bad day at work.)

When I ask this, people find it hilarious. Probably because they know me pretty well. Eh, I guess when you're good at what you do, people will put up with more BS. I am just grateful they all relate to my stupid humour. Hey, if I have to work more than I want to, I'm going to try and make it as painless as possible.

You never know, they may all secretly hate me. Regardless, being a competent tech is apparently a rare commodity around here, so they accept me as I am. haha.

No comments: