Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Moonlighting

You know at work there is almost always someone that everyone dislikes. I've always been afraid of being 'that person'. I have my quirks, actually I have a lot of them. I've learned that there's no real way of hiding my quirks because sooner or later they come out in full force and I look like an ass for pretendng to be any other way. Besides, it's better to be yourself right? Well, lucky for me I'm not 'that person' at work. At least if I am, the gossip mill at work has been very good at hiding it. That and there's someone else that pretty much takes the heat off of just about anyone at work.

Well, I've been 'moonlighting' on my free hours elsewhere and my boss is not happy about having to share me, but it's what's good for my health right now. Honestly, I enjoy the break and not feeling like someone is kicking me in the ribs while at work. I could have transferred out, but I didn't have the heart to. I've had to cut my hours back though due to the pain. Which sucks for both the store and for my bank account. So this moonlighting position is actually a good solution to my problem.

The place I've been moonlighting at, I was slightly worried about how they would handle me. Yes, I can be a handful and my humor can be taken the wrong way, but it fit like a glove! They were just in a bad position with losing staff unexpectedly, so I stepped in one or two days a week to help them get by. They are actually hilarious and have the same sense of humor I do so it's fun to be there. After they had found a more permanent replacement (though half of that replacement was not liked at all by the full staff) I thought my time was over. Lo and behold, the next week I get a phone call from them.

"She quit."

I don't know why, but I just started laughing my ass off. I knew they didn't want her there, but the fact that she hated this group of awesome people enough to quit one of the easiest jobs had me rolling. I laughed so hard, the manager started laughing too. I'm not sure if it was out of the sheer ridiculousness of the situation, or that she was freaking out over staffing again, but we had a good laugh. Now I have a semi permanent moonlighting position with them, and I'm kind of glad. I enjoy working with them and missed them. Not to mention it's one of the few times I've been able to work without excruciatin pain.

The only thing that's different is that I'm not 'out' there. My main location pretty much knows I'm a giant homo, even the newbies, but I haven't quite gotten the nerve to do it there. I guess it doesn't really matter. It doesn't affect my work, it doesn't hurt anyone there. It is part of who I am though. I guess only time will tell.

1 comment:

Brahmin in Boston said...

Exactly! They will know when it is right time. In the mean while I think you shouldn't think too much about it.

Just like they wouldn't think twice if you were Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox/Hindu/Jew etc etc; I think they wouldn't think twice about your orientation...

Well yes, even my place has such kind of personalities. We are currently praying that the person leaves the institution soon! Very soon!