Thursday, October 8, 2009

Friend was the only reason I needed

YAY for birthday surprise parties. And yay for me not being a coward and going! I had such a great time. And hooray for awesome boyfriends that plan far enough in advanced so I could get the time off work! I was just slightly worried about only knowing the birthday girl and the boyfriend. Psh but it was her birthday! Reason enough! The 90 minute drive to an unfamiliar place was holding me back, but being there for her was all the reason I needed.

When he told me 45 people were planning on showing up, I did get a bit worried, but I figured if she loves them, I probably will too. I hit it off with a few of them that were sitting in my general area so it made the night really fun. I don't know why I am so weird about these things. I am usually really social, it's just the initial meeting that always gets me.

Anyways enough of that. What really made it worthwhile was her reaction. We all thought she would see the crowd of 45 people waiting for her, but she clearly did not. When she finlly got close enough and saw me, her initial reaction was a look of confusion and then everyone erupted in applause shouting Happy Birthday! and SURPRISE! she was literally brought to tears. Happy tears. That moment alone was worth the terrifying drive. When she hugged me she whispered 'this is going to take awhile' as she surveyed all the people smiling. It made me laugh, especially since I was carrying extra hugs for our friends in other parts of the country and one other country.

I'm really glad I went and consulted with our BFF on what chocolate to get her along with a special framed photo of our group of friends through the years. She kept telling me how much it meant to her that I came all the way down for her birthday. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. She actually even apologized for not getting to spend enough time with me a her party. My response: "Are you kidding me? I am not the center of any universe and I am not allowed to hog you all to myself with plenty of other people that love you enough to come tonight!" She laughed, gave me another hug, and we went right back on enjoying the party.

Moments like these makes me wish we were all close (distance wise) to each other again. I miss her, but we are all where we need to be right now. Well except me, but I a hoping that all changes by next fall ;).

Ohh back to the chocolate really quickly, I am a bad friend. I had no idea what to get her for her birthday and pretty much put it together on my way down. (I am terrible with thinking of gifts) I stopped by my place of work that really does have the most random crap, and I found a card and the chocolate. It was an awesome lucky find. Her favorite chocolate actually was in a box WITH a bow that said Happy Birthday on it. How awesome is that? Before I left the house I grabbed the photo and put it in a victoria's secret bag. I got pretty lucky eh? The photo collage was a hit though.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I love my friends. They make the world (at least my world) a much better and happier place.

No comments: