Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My First Political Rally

First off, I encourage everyone to go out and vote!!! Don't take your right to vote for granted. Get out there and make a difference. If you don't, I don't want to hear you bitching for the next 4 years about the outcome. =P

Ok, so all the entries so far have centered around being gay etc. This is not all I talk about I promise, it's just the election and the current insanity going around that is causing me to think mostly about this.

I went to a No on 8 rally today. It was so freaking amazing. I got my cousin to come along and I used her signs. There were so many of us. A few people were older, but most protesting were around my age and some were too young to even vote. It was at one of the busiest intersections in my city, and I completely forgot it was also one that is most widely used by my family.

So my cousin and 40 to 50 others spread about the four corners of the large intersection shouting and waving signs. Within the first 10 minutes I was spotted by no one other than my best friend's gay brother! I heard my name being shouted from a car and was frightened then we played the pointing and shouting game. Turns out they know my little cousin and his friend was pointing at her and I was pointing at him and we all confused each other haha.

About 90 minutes later I hear my name again. And who else, but one of my uncles. My parents also told me later that they saw me. (oops I told them I was going to class!) I'm sure my mom shook her head in disapproval, but I didn't care. I shouted and waved the sign proudly.

We got pretty silly after a while. People who shook their heads, or tried to ignore us in what I deemed "The awkward zone" either honked or avoided our stares and shouts. Mostly because the light was red and they were stuck with us heehee. Things got a little heated with four yes on 8ers who tried to take us on. It was pretty funny.

What really steamed me was right in the middle of my rally someone from the yes on 8 people called me again. Are you for serious? Three times??? Three freaking times? Don't they have other people to bother?

First time: YES I KNOW ABOUT PROP 8 AND I'M GAY.
You'd think they'd stop calling. Nope.

Second time: Yes. I know about it. I already voted early and I VOTED NO.
You'd think they would really get the message then. Nope.

Third time: WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP CALLING ME??? Want to know what I'm doing right now? WHAT ARE WE DOING RIGHT NOW GUYS?
Crowd starts chanting NO ON 8! NO ON 8!!!!!

And then one of the women threatened the girl with harassment if they ever call my number again. To which I responded AND I'LL USE THE MONEY TO MAKE YOU PAY FOR ALL THE GAY MARRIAGES IN CA LEGAL OR NOT!!!

Silliest moment of the rally:
So one of the signs I was handed said No on 8! on the front and
LOOKS
FUNNY
<----
On the back.

So every time a yes on 8er stood next to me I flipped the sign around. We all laughed and giggled. They had another group down the street they should have flocked there =P I can't wait for my friends picture.

I'm so glad I went to the rally. I had such an amazing time. I don't care if my mom is pissed and is mad at me for supporting something (and a group of people) that she despises so much. Well she's in for one big surprise. When my dad told me I just simply told him I was just doing what I believed was right.

One more bit of silliness. I was talking to one of my friends about the rally and working the polls tomorrow. She made me laugh. "OMG. How do you go to school, work, stay updated on all this political stuff, go to rallies, and even volunteer at the polls?"

"Didn't you know? Being gay gives you super powers."
"OMG you're right! Everyone I know who is gay is awesome and has super powers. Makes me wish I was gay!"

And with that I hope you all have an awesome day.

4 comments:

Not a Total Disaster said...

You crazy kids with your crazy superpowers!

sheA said...

sounds like a great time. if I could I would help rock the NO on 8, but instead, I will be sending positive thoughts westward. NO ON 8!!!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Don't go telling everyone we have superpowers! Aw man, now they are all going to want us to carry their houses from one side of town to the other, change traffic lights straight to green, turn people into ice sculptures....that's on page one of the Gay Handbook....don't tell the straight people about our super powers....dang it :-)

Erin said...

D'oh. I've always heard of this gay handbook, but I've never seen it. haha. I'm not carrying anyone's houses unless I'm going to be dropping it on them for annoying me so ;)